The Grunau Family

Saturday, October 28, 2006

This is our life


hanging out
Originally uploaded by ddgrunau.

Sorry I haven't written anything for awhile but things have been slightly crazy! First off, around a month ago I hurt my back really bad.... I could hardly even lift Libby. Thankfully my parents saved my butt and they arranged to come out and help me. Then Libby had a cold and started waking up all the time in the night. I recognize that this might not seem like a big deal, but she has been sleeping through the night since she was 6 weeks old, so I wasn't quite used to waking up at 12:00, 3:00 and 6:00 (or some variation of that!). THEN Libby got used to waking up like that all the time so it took me another week to get her used to sleeping through the night again (once she was over her cold and growth spurt that is). Then because she seemed hungry all the time (like an hour after I would feed her), I started her on rice cereal (WHICH SHE LOVED.... didn't spit any of it out at all!!) BUT a side effect of that was that she got super constipated and I have my first run in with a suppository (to be followed by the same experience 6 days later!!).
But the big thing lately is that I went to the doctor two weeks ago and she said that I shouldn't start her on rice cereal and that the WHO (World Health Organization) reccommends that you don't start your child on solids until they are 6 months and that you are endangering your child and pretty much killing them if you do (A vast overstatement I'm sure!!) QUICK NOTE>>>> before any moms start getting super mad at me... I didn't say that I agree with the WHO, this is just what my doctor told me.
Anyways, so then my doctor suggested weighing her to see what the result would be. She weighed 13 lbs. 13 oz. Which means that she had actually lost a couple ozs. in a month!! YIKES!! So my doctor said that she wasn't getting enough calories (mostly because she is a super lazy eater and doesn't like to work at it AT ALL!!). So now I need to take two pills/ four times a day to increase my supply and I have to try to feed her more often as well to bring up my supply! YAY ;(
I guess the good thing is that I know that she has gained weight because I went to the doctor's 6 days later (on Wednesday) and she weighed 14 lbs. 6 oz., so she gained around 8 oz. in 6 days... not too shabby I'd say! So now at least we have that area under control.
Now the only problem is that she has a cold again and keeps waking up in the night and I have to feed her and suck out her snot with the sucker thing (which she hates). So I basically feel like the cycle is starting all over again. I sure hope we get over this sickness thing super fast or else it could be an interesting winter!!! All I can say is that I sure hope Libby learns how to blow snot out of her nose at an exeptionally young age and a big HORRAY out to the person that created snot suckers!!! Hopefully my post will be a little more uplifting! ;)

6 Comments:

  • lol there are snot suckers!!
    that's great... but its not so great that you always have to use it... hope libby gets well soon!
    love you guys, maybe i'll see you in a few weeks :)
    ps. i can't believe the doctor said that rice cereal could kill your kid, seriously.. haha

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:55 AM  

  • Hi Dawn,
    I know you said you didn't necessarily agree with the Dr., but just for some support/encouragement, Jared's been eating not only rice cereal, but fruits, veggies and MEAT (yikes!) since he was just over 4 months. (I didn't start him on it all at once!) And he is just fine. In fact, his poops got much nicer to clean up, which I guess is uncommon. Of course, he is still also nursing. It's funny, because Public Health now says that you should start meats first, even before rice cereal. And everybody will change their "policies" at least 4 times in the next year, so really, just use common sense! I mean, with all the rules out there, how did we ever survive when we were babies?! And what about our ancestors?!
    Do you want to do coffee or something sometime?

    By Blogger Allison, at 4:33 PM  

  • And another thing I forgot to mention, Jared totally didn't gain any weight (dropped a couple of ounces) between three and four months or so. I think he just grew up and started moving! And he was still perfectly healthy - I mean, just look at him! Plus, he had gained weight SO fast in the beginning, he was bound to slow down. And now he's gaining again. So while you need to be monitoring, I wouldn't panic.

    By Blogger Allison, at 4:35 PM  

  • I was taught the reason the WHO recommends waiting until 6 months old to start solids is because baby's guts may not be able to handle it. The "damage" may not be apparent at first, but later in life. Also, the later you can expose your child to possible allergens, the better. That's what they say. Another reason may be because they want babies to get more breastmilk, and not to rely on solids.

    I think there's some truth to that, but I started my kids slowly at 4-5 months -- they were really hungry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:54 AM  

  • hi Dawn - i'm still planning on coming by tonight and as always am more then happy to take baby off your hands - screaming or otherwise... love you - kendra

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:23 AM  

  • Sorry to hear that Libby's been sick and not sleeping as well. Taylor seems to have come down with a bit of a cold as well and had some trouble sleeping last night too. Good luck with the whole feeding thing!

    By Blogger Russ and Jolene, at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home