The Grunau Family

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

World Water Day

So I was checking out my husbands blog and he has this new banner on it that will take you to the ONE campaign website to fight world poverty. On this website there was a link to the World Water Day site, which just happens to be today.
Apparently in 1992 the UN made March 22nd World Water day, to promote giving everyone access to clean healthy water.
Here is just a little information they had on the site:

"The facts are mind boggling. More than 1 billion people world wide – 20% of the planet’s entire human population – lack access to clean, safe drinking water. According to the United Nations, this world water crisis leads to the death of more than 4,500 children every day and is a leading cause of poverty, disease, and social instability world wide."

I guess I am a little frustrated because I have never heard about this and it's been going on for over 10 years. It seems like all the fundraising is happening in the US, which is annoying considering that the UN is the one that started it, not the US. The website even said that Starbucks is one of the corporate sponsors, but I guess that is only in the US too.

Anyways I just thought that it was interesting that I have never heard anything about it, and that there are a bunch of fundraisers happening in the states but nothing happening in Canada.