The Grunau Family

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

"True" Beauty

So I have been reading Captivating by John and Stasi Eldridge. It is all about the Woman's heart and God's design for women. On a side note, John wrote a book for men along the same lines called Wild at Heart.

I am now in the part of the book that is talking about a woman's beauty, and how we can unveil our true, god-given beauty.
The thing that really struck me was the parrallel between beauty and vulnerability. The authors talk about true beauty not being about our looks, our usefulness, or even our abilities, but instead it is about our spirits and the peace and rest that can be found there. I should point out that they do not say that true beauty is being meek and soft-spoken, but it is about being open, real, and at rest with who you are as a woman created by God.
"A woman who is unveiling her beauty is inviting others to life. She risks being vulnerable: exposing her true heart and inviting others to share theirs.... For a woman to unveil her beauty means she is offering her heart.... Offering her presence. The gift of presence is a rare and beautiful gift. To come-unguarded, undistracted- and be fully present, fully engaged with whoever we are at that moment."
I have really been hungry lately for a safe community where I can be vulnerable, and where others feel that they can be vulnerable to me as well. And when I envision that place, where women can come and be who they are; no masks, no pretending and no clouding over with busyness, I picture real beauty.
I have just started a group on Wednesdays, where women come together. It is my desire that this will become a place of beauty and vulnerability, and that this honesty and openess will go beyond just a once a week event.
I really reccomend that women read the book "Captivating". I found there was a bit that didn't really seem to apply in my life, but it is an excellenct book and it has made me think about how God created me as a woman, and what that relationship is supposed to look like.